Sunday, August 12, 2007

Prescott Stake Pioneer Hancart Trek- 2007

Trail of Confidence, Trust in God
(our Theme, picture of custom brand on our possibles bags.)




Kip and I had the opportunity to get involved in a
Pioneer Handcart Trek with our Stake Youth.
It was one of the HARDEST yet most REWARDING things I have ever done.




Here are a few pictures of our AMAZING pictures that our trek photographers took, Kerrianne Burch & Kim Draper. They took over 2000 pictures. If anyone is interested you can check out their mad skills HERE.



They took some great pictures, the password is: carry on to access the pictures. Enjoy!!

We went as a Ma & Pa "Hale" (Hale- is an ancestor of Kip's who actually crossed the plains) Throughout the week we shared information about Areot Lucious Hale from his Diary. Also we included some great information about one of my own ancestors Julia Sophia McKee (Raymond.) This was one of the coolest experiences we had- to read, and learn all about their lives on the plains, then to walk in their shoes.

We had 9 children who we just fell in love with: Julie, Ethan, Austin, Cassi, Kat, Hollan, Matt, Tyler and our "Baby William" who died along the trek. We had a moment with our kids to have a testimony meeting along the trail, where we then had to dig a hole, and bury our baby. That was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. All I could see was my young sons little face, and could not bear to even watch it fill with dirt. It made me sick to my stomach, that I had to go up the hill where I could not stop crying, and try and regain my composure.


We were out in the mountains for four days, we hiked about 30 miles, pulled our handcarts, cooked dinner, and did without much to eat, we endured hardships, and excitements. And still could not ever get close to what the Pioneers had to go through. We learned alot, and learned from each other. We even were humbled quite a bit, but those McDonald's french fries sure tasted good on our drive home from Williams, it took a close second to a nice long shower.







We learned about helping each other, putting our trust in God, recognizingthe spirit, a greater respect for our Pioneer heritage, compassion, and to just enjoy the little things we miss in our day-to-day lives. As I studied Julia Sophia McKee's journal she spoke about how wonderful everything was especially when she said, how grateful she was one day when they were moving at a slow pace- how she took in the beauty of the earth around her. I can say I just focused on walking one more mile, staying hydrated, and watching my feet so I didn't trip. Until the last day I finally stepped back a bit and took it all in...



Luckily our "PIORAZZI" captured exactly how it felt to be out in the beauty of our earth. We slept under this beautiful sight, but we were too worried about getting things done to really take it in. As glad as I am to be back in my "comfort zone." I kinda want to go back and just bask in God's wonderful creation. We loved being a part of this Trek and have fell in love with the Youth we worked with, and it helped us gain a greater respect for our Sunday school class of 14-16 year olds, there is 12 of them. Who we just love being around. Definitely a highlight of our week now- Sunday! We love you guys!!hank you for being AWESOME!!

Come, Come ye Saints
By: William Clayton 1814-1879

I have such a greater respect for this song, and can no longer get through it without crying through the whole thing. If you click on the title you can listen and read the lyrics to this song from http://www.lds.org/


Pioneer Trek 2007
2 Timothy 4: 7-8
“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith…
…Henceforth there is laid up for me a Crown of Righteousness!!”


I made some crowns for my kids at the end of the trek- that had this scripture on it, and I am SO grateful for my ancestors who travelled across the plains so long ago, who were faithful members of the church at such a hard time in the history of the Church, who were strong, and obedient, who have received their Crowns of Righteousness in heaven, and hope that I may continue to follow in their footsteps. THANK YOU!!


*Hale Family Cheers:*

*"HALE FAMILY: THAT'S HOW WE ROLL!!"

*WE MADE IT... "HALE" YEAH!!!

1 comment:

Jordan & Rhonda said...

how fun. yeah lots of hard work and walking but such a wonderful experiece. I've never done one but i've always wanted to.